|Developer: Rebellion Developments Ltd.|
|Publisher: Rebellion Developments Ltd.|
|Platforms: PS4, PC|
Battlezone (working title) is a reboot of Atari's 1980 arcade classic announced at E3 2015 as a retro sci-fi themed title for eighth-generation virtual reality devices including PC and Playstation VR (then known as Sony Morpheus) on PS4. Oculus Rift support was announced in September of the same year. In late October 2015, it was announced that it will be released as a timed exclusive launch title for the former platform.
The remains of Earth's neon wastelands are dominated by the glittering industrial complex of the Rotberg Corporation, and humanity is enslaved, exiled and on the edge of extinction. Mankind's last hero and the planet's only hope takes to the cockpit of the Cobra, the most powerful vehicle ever built, to cut through the Rotberg Corp's legions of ground and airborne troops and blast their way to a final confrontation with its metal mind.
It was announced through the game's mailing list on August 17th 2016 that the game would be one of only a few Playstation VR titles to receive a boxed release, and that its release was due on October 13th. Pre-orders opened to Europe on August 25th along with the release of the Accolades trailer, and a demo of the game was included on the demo disc bundled with the Playstation VR system.
On November 10th, coinciding with the launch of the Playstation 4 Pro, Rebellion announced a 1.02 Patch that introduced an easier difficulty setting, support for the new console version, and the upcoming release of additional free DLC.
On December 21st Classic Mode was released, revealed to be part of the free content Rebellion had teased previously through the mailing list and Twitch streams. Additional skins and bobbleheads were released at the same time.
Applications for a closed beta for the game's PC version, for Occulus Rift and HTC Vive, were opened on April 10th, to run from the 19th to 26th of that month.
- Retro-futuristic graphics: offers a rich, saturated visual style that pays homage to the original vector-based Battlezone
- Diverse environments: with distinct color palettes, scale, structures, enemy, and atmosphere
- Obliterate ground and air-based enemies across a huge map with procedural enemy spawn
- Load the Cobra with a wide range of devastating weapons and awesome combat utilities.
- ↑ Battlezone is Back! on battlezone.com
- ↑ Battlezone Thunders onto Oculus Rift on battlezone.com
- ↑ Battlezone to Launch Alongside Playstation VR on battlezone.com
- ↑ Free demo disc with PlayStation VR, at launch on Playstation.Blog
- ↑ The 6 things you need to know about today's Battlezone update on PlayStation VR on PlayStation.Blog